- Personal profile
- work experience
Evan has more than 17 years of legal professional experience in Mainland China and Hong Kong, including 6 years working in court.
Evan specializes in dispute resolution (litigation and arbitration), restructuring and insolvency. He has prolific experience in the areas of cross-border litigation, commercial arbitration, shareholder disputes, contract disputes, investment and financing disputes, capital market disputes and intellectual property litigation. Evan is particularly adept at cross-border dispute resolution. Relying on his extensive practice in both common law and civil law systems, Evan is experienced in designing and executing pragmatic solutions ranging from litigation to enforcement and from China to abroad.
Evan has long acted for clients in civil and commercial proceedings in the Mainland China and provided services for companies spanning various sectors, including chemical, energy, environmental protection, construction, finance, media, trade, fashion, game, entertainment, real estate, new material, supply chain, internet, public utilities, etc. Evan has also acted for and advised domestic and foreign clients in various international arbitration cases administered by HKIAC, CIETAC, SCIA and other institutions, and has deep insight into different arbitral rules and procedures.
Evan is qualified in both Mainland China and Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. Prior to joining Qinli Legal, Evan worked in a leading Hong Kong law firm and an US-quartered international law firm as well as a top tier “Red Circle” firm of China.
Evan graduated from Sun Yat Sen University in his early years and obtained his LL.B. and LL.M. degrees, and then obtained his common law LL.M. degree from William and Mary College. Evan is a lawyer listed in "China's Thousand Foreign-related Lawyers" by the Ministry of Justice and “a leading foreign-related lawyer in Guangdong Province”. He also serves as a master supervisor of the School of Law of South China Normal University. Evan has published numerous papers on Chinese law and judicial practice in both Chinese and English journals.
Evan works in Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) and English.
Litigation & Arbitration
- Acting for a U.S.-based supply chain company against a company in Dongguan in an international trade arbitration administered by China International Economic and Trade Commission involving three jurisdictions (i.e. Mainland China, Hong Kong and the United States).
- Acting for a well-known China-based real estate company in an arbitration administered by Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre in connection with a dispute arising from its Malaysian subsidiary's real estate project in Southeast Asia under Malaysian law.
- Acting for a reputable U.S. listed internet company in an arbitration administered by Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre in connection with a share issuance agreement with the amount in dispute of HK $155 million.
- Acting for a public utility company in an arbitration administered by Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration in connection with a BOT agreement.
- Acting for a company wholly owned by a Hong Kong investor in a company dissolution proceeding brought by a shade shareholder, and initiating counter back litigation in relation to damage to the company's interests and return of the company's books.
- Acting for a leading Hong Kong costume company in a lawsuit against the infringer for infringement of exclusive trademark rights in a Shenzhen court.
- Acting for a game design company in a game copyright litigation.
- Acting and filing a counterclaim for a listed company in the new material industry in a litigation arising from a supply chain financing.
- Acting for an internet company in several proceedings against infringers for infringement of exclusive trademark right in Shanghai courts.
- Designing strategies for a couple of high-net-worth individuals on onshore and offshore property division litigations and advising on the property preservation after division, involving assets in excess of RMB 1 billion.
- Acting for a company in an ongoing arbitration administered by China International Economic and Trade Commission in applying to Hong Kong courts for an asset freezing order.
Restructuring & Insolvency
- Advising a Guangzhou commercial bank on a cross-border bankruptcy case administered by the Hong Kong court.
- Advising a listed company in the luxury goods industry on its pre-pack and reorganization.
- Advising a listed company in the new energy industry on its pre-pack and reorganization.
- Acting for a Guangzhou real estate company in its liquidation.
- Acting for a Guangzhou food company in its liquidation.
- Advising a Hong Kong -registered company which owns more than 500 properties in Mainland China on its proposed application for cross-border winding-up.