- Personal profile
- work experience
Mr. Weiheng Jia is a qualified lawyer in China and also licensed to practice law in New York State and before the US federal courts. He is a native Chinese and has studied and practiced law in the United States, Japan and China for over a decade. He is capable of practicing law in English, Japanese and Chinese languages.
Mr. Jia’s primary practice areas are corporate and corporate finance and compliance. He served as the leading counsel for clients on a number of cross board M&A projects representing the international companies or PRC domestic companies. He also regularly advises clients on joint venture, general corporate and PRC anti-monopoly law issues.
He advises clients on general compliance issues and the antibribery laws of China and the US. He has represented international clients in drafting and designing compliance programs and policies for their China operations, provided training for internal employees and outside suppliers, as well as conducted compliance violation investigations and regular audits.
Mr. Jia maintains a wide range of clients throughout various industries. He represents clients from Japan, the US, Europe, Africa and the Middle East as well as domestic China-based companies in automotive, aviation, pharmaceutical, telecommunication, chemical, tourism and hospitality, education, consumer and electronic products, food and beverage, and art and entertainment industries.
Corporate and Corporate Finance
- Represented a high-end Japanese restaurant chain in its acquisition of equity interests in a famous PRC brand restaurant chain by converting the target company into a joint venture company.
- Represented a Europe based publicly traded multibillion dollar food and beverage service company in its acquisition of a PRC-based company with several dozens of subsidiaries and branches in the food and beverage industry.
- Advised a major US aircraft components manufacturer in its cooperative joint venture project with a major state owned enterprise to produce aircraft components for C919 program with special focus on IP protection issues.
- Advised a major international hotel chain in its China market entry strategies, regulatory issues, hospitality management contracts drafting and negotiations, as well as legal issues related to its business operations on ongoing basis.
- Represented PRC airline companies on aircraft lease, purchase, and maintenance contract negotiations.
- Advised an UK-based human resource service company in its China market entry projects including structure design, acquisition of equity share of a PRC company, as well as the joint venture formation.
- Represented an US-based training and educational institution to set up its PRC presence and advised on the regulatory issues related to training and education.
- Represented a Japan-listed major Japanese electronic device manufacturer in its acquisition of majority equity interest in a Chinese subsidiary of another listed Japanese company and successfully obtained the PRC antitrust merger control clearance.
- Represented a Germany-based multinational company in a complex acquisition of equity interest from multiple parties in a state owned/controlled automobile parts manufacturer. This project involved transfer of state owned equity interest, tangible and intangible assets and real estate property, negotiation of structures and contracts with state owned enterprise shareholders and foreign shareholders, application and securing relevant approvals from multiple state governments.
- Represented a Japan-listed multinational company in an acquisition of minority equity interest in another foreign owned steel products manufacturer in China, and formation a joint venture company following the acquisition.
- Represented a US listed aircraft components manufacturer in its US$52 million joint venture project with COMAC. This project required extensive negotiations and drafting of the JV contract terms and a series of commercial contracts between the shareholders and the JV, as well as analyses and advices on PRC environmental laws, anti-monopoly law, and real estate laws on the acquisition of land usage right.
- Advised a Japan listed multinational company in an acquisition of controlling equity interest of a Chinese domestic distribution company and formation of a joint venture as the result of the acquisition.
- Represented an US airline to establish the first Sino-foreign joint venture passenger airline company in China. This project required complicated government approvals and made a precedent for all future airline company formation of similar kind.
- Advised a major Middle East-based telecommunications company in its acquisition and operations in the greater China area.
- Represented a US-based international pharmaceutical company to conduct compliance investigation on the entire China operations.
- Represented a Japan-based international pharmaceutical company to conduct compliance investigation on the entire China operations.
- Represented a US-based multinational aerospace manufacture company on compliance policy reform and implementation support.
- Represented a US-based multinational company in revision of its international compliance policy for China operation, provision of trainings to employees at the dozens of locations, provision of training to suppliers and assisting the suppliers to implement compliance programs.
- Advised a number of multinational clients on compliance issues and matters.
Labour and Employment
- Represented a foreign invested company in China on a hostile Labour union matters including negotiating with company’s Labour union and higher level Labour union organizations on company’s employee matters, advising on the strategy of replacing and terminating hostile union members, and advising on mass layoff and unilateral termination of employees.
- Represented multinational corporate clients on terminating senior employees of its China operations.