- Personal profile
- work experience
Liu Ping has over 13 years professional experience on merger & acquisition/restructuring/joint venture (outbound investment by PRC enterprises, and foreign direct investment), private equity investment and financing, and PRC regulatory and compliance advisory. She provides legal services for foreign and PRC clients during the whole cycle of a transaction, including legal due diligence, structuring, negotiation, documentation drafting, closing and post-closing integration.
Her client portfolio covers a wide spectrum of industries including new energy/renewable energy, infrastructure and public service, telecommunication/media/technology, energy saving and environment protection, consumer product, food/nutrition and drug, life science, elderly care, chemical and manufacturing.
Ping was admitted to the New York State Bar (2005), and qualified to practice in the PRC (2002). Prior to joining Qin Li, she has practiced at two international law firms.
She received her Master of Law (LL.M.) from both Harvard Law School (USA) and Tsinghua University Law School (civil and commercial law) with distinction, and a Bachelor of Engineering from Department of Hydraulic Engineering of Tsinghua University, and joined the Summer Program on Transnational Law by the Asia-America Institute in Transnational Law, Duke University School of Law & Faculty of Law of the University of Hong Kong. She is proficient in Chinese and English.
• Acted for a US-listed company providing seismic solutions for the global oil & gas industry on its equity joint venture in China with one of the largest State-owned oil & gas companies, to hold business/assets in seven foreign jurisdictions. This deal was ground-breaking – e.g. the parties were approved to capitalize the PRC joint venture with shares of foreign non-listed companies.
• Acted for an international accounting firm to restructure its PRC accounting business into a special general partnership, and to restructure/establish its tax advisory business and asset valuation business.
• Acted for a Fortune Global 500 food and drink company on the PRC portion of its global acquisition of infant formula and maternal nutrition business of a pharmaceutical research and production company.
• Acted for a Fortune Global 500 automotive company on the PRC portion of its global acquisition of steering business of a leading automotive parts supplier.
• Acted for a Fortune Global 500 paints and coatings company on the PRC portion of its taking-over of a Hong Kong-listed coating manufacturing company.
Foreign Direct Investment
• Acted for a supermajor oil and gas company for its proposed Sino-foreign wind farm joint ventures respectively in Inner Mongolia and Liaoning Province, China.
• Acted for a well-known fine art auction and private sale company on its Sino-foreign equity joint venture with a State-owned company. Client became the first international auction company operating in China.
• Acted for a Fortune Global 500 paint and coating company on its equity acquisition of three chemical companies in Shandong Province, China.
• Acted for three European companies on their proposed equity acquisition of a straw-fired combined heat and power plant in Jilin Province, China.
• Acted for a European electrical heating manufacturer on its buy-out of its State-owned joint venture partner through a public tendering process at China Beijing Equity Exchange.
• Acted for a US-listed security system manufacturer on its equity acquisition of a financial security equipment company in Shanghai.
• Acted for a US-based graphics, multimedia and web development software company on its equity acquisition of a software company in Beijing.
Outbound Investment by PRC Enterprises
• Acted for a large PRC group company engaged in life science business on its proposed taking over of a Singapore-listed healthcare company that operates in eight countries/regions.
• Acted for a large private clean energy group company in China on its equity acquisition of a solar cell manufacturing company in Europe, asset acquisition of a solar cell manufacturing business in the US, and acquisition through merger of a solar cell manufacturing company in the US.
• Acted for an eco-environmental restoration group company in China on its proposed equity acquisition of solar receiver tube business in Europe.
• Acted for a real property group company in China on its proposed limestone mining and cement production joint venture in Africa.
Private Equity Investment
• Acted for a US-based private equity fund on its acquisitions of six PRC target companies through share acquisition via a listing process for State-owned asset, share acquisition, asset acquisition, and joint venture. With the acquired business listed in Hong Kong, the client successfully exited.
• Acted for a US-based private equity fund on its investment in the advertising agency business in China through the VIE structure.
• Acted for a US-based private equity fund on liquidation of its invested business in China.
• Acted for a large PRC group company engaged in life science business to negotiate and draft financing documents for its proposed taking over of a Singapore-listed healthcare company that operates in eight countries/regions.
• Acted for a Fortune Global 500 paints and coatings company, to negotiate fixed asset loan and working capital loan with Bank of China local branch for construction of a titanium dioxide manufacturing project in China.
• Acted for a London-based boutique investment bank on its purchase of carbon credits (worth in excess of Euro 200 million) from, and provision of non-recourse financing for project construction to, a chemical company in China.
• Acted for a European company on its provision of bridge loan for project construction to a straw-fired combined heat and power plant in Jilin Province, China.
• Acted for a US-based software company on its provision of convertible loan to a software company in Beijing.