- Personal profile
- work experience
Jolin Song has nearly 16 years of experience in providing legal services for inbound and outbound mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments and financing. She has represented international and domestic clients in structuring, negotiating and documenting their business transactions for direct investments and acquisitions and her client portfolio covers a wide spectrum of industries including automobile, telecommunications and information technology, insurance, banking, oil and gas, real estate and manufacturing.
Jolin also specializes in advising her clients on regulatory and compliance matters including but not limited to, merger review, antitrust, anti-bribery and other regulatory advisory/compliance investigations.
Jolin, in addition, has extensive experience in dealing with a variety of employment issues for expatriates and local employees, including the structuring of executive compensation package/design of employee incentive plan, drafting employment contracts, employee handbooks, transferring employees and downsizing in post-M&A/restructuring transactions.
Jolin was admitted to the PRC Bar and the New York State Bar. Prior to joining Qin Li, she has practiced at several international law firms and also worked as a Senior Legal Counsel (Greater China) at a leading consulting firm. She received her Master of Law (LL.M.) from both New York University (USA) and Peking University as well as a B.A. from Peking University. She is proficient in Chinese, English and French.
General Corporate and Inbound M&A
- Advised a world leading financial group on its investment into the Chinese A share market with a qualified institutional foreign investor status and relevant regulatory requirements on the Chinese capital market.
- Advised a leading global insurance group on its acquisition of a Sino-foreign life insurance company in Shanghai, China (as part of its global acquisition of substantial international insurance business of a US financial group).
- Advised the world second largest publishing group on its entry into the PRC book distribution industry through set up of a joint venture.
- Advised a major Hong Kong group company on the establishment of the railway pivotal container terminals project company in Beijing.
- Represented a world leading PC producer on its demerger transaction and relevant matters.
- Represented a global learning institution on the liquidation of certain China subsidiaries and entities.
- Represented a leading Chinese construction and engineering Group in its investment into an hydropower infrastructure project in South Asia.
- Represented one of the key players in China's infrastructure industry in its acquisition of some agricultural business in Russia.
- Advised a Chinese State-owned machinery company on its acquisition of a US automotive parts manufacturer.
- Assisted Chinese major oil & gas companies (e.g., CNPC) in their overseas acquisition projects.
VC/PE Equity Investments and Financing
- Advised leading global private investment institutions (e.g., Softbank, Warburg Pincus and Blackstone) on their respective investments into various industries (e.g., real estate, TMT, finance industry) across China.
- Advised Merrill Lynch and other leading investment banks on their various financing projects in China’s real estate industry.
- Represented a major auto manufacturer on its compliance review on dealership operations.
- Represented leading JV auto makers on designing and streamlining their respective compliance programs.
- Represented one of Fortune 500 Chinese banks in reviewing their RRP plan from PRC regulatory perspective.
- Represented a foreign petrochemical manufacturer in the compliance review on its China entities.
- Represented a leading petrochemical manufacturer in the post-M&A employment transition matters.
- Represented a Chinese State-owned enterprise in providing ESOP related advisory services.
- Represented a world online retailer in structuring and defining the social security contributions for its China employees.
- Represented an MNC in the winding up of its China business (including termination of its entire China staff).