- Personal profile
- work experience
Jason was qualified to legal practice in the PRC in 1995, and has over 26 years of experience in law firms in PRC, Canada and Singapore. He is also qualified in BC, Canada.
Jason was a senior partner of a top-tier “Red Circle” law firm in China for over 10 years, and was the managing partner of its Guangzhou office for two terms.
He focuses on areas including family wealth and succession planning for Chinese families, design and construction of cross-border legal structures and family trust structures, Chinese outbound direct investment and round-trip investment, foreign investment in the PRC, infrastructure investment and financing, and cross-border M&A and restructuring.
Jason is highly experienced in assisting high-net-worth individuals and families to design and construct cross-border legal structures, and to assist his clients in achieving global distribution of assets. He is particularly experienced in assisting wealthy families to establish family trust structures and cross-border legal structures by utilising legal systems that are friendly towards wealth structuring in home state, host state, Hong Kong, Singapore and Cayman Island. Jason has advised over 40 wealthy Chinese families, including those listed on the Forbes Richest Families List, regarding family wealth protection and succession planning. Most of these families have members living and/or assets located in North America, Australia, Singapore and/or Hong Kong. Clients benefit from Jason’s local knowledge, international perspective and depth of experience in this area.
Jason was ranked as a Band One lawyer in Guangdong by Legalband in 2015.
Private Client Services
- Advised a well-known entrepreneur from Shenzhen on family wealth structuring and family governance.
- Advised a well-known entrepreneur from Chengdu on family wealth structuring and family governance.
- Advised a well-known entrepreneur from Xi’an on family wealth structuring and family governance.
- Advised a private enterprise in Tianjin regarding outbound direct investment and offshore family trust structures.
- Advised a private enterprise in Shanghai regarding outbound direct investment and offshore family trust structures.
- Advised a well-known entrepreneur from Weifang, Shandong regarding cross-border legal structures and family trust structures.
- Advised a well-known entrepreneur from Qingdao, Shandong on design and construction of cross-border legal structures and family trust structures.
- Advised a well-known entrepreneur from Nanjing, Jiangsu regarding outbound direct investment and family trust structures.
- Advised a well-known entrepreneur from Ningxia regarding cross-border legal structures and family trust structures.
- Advised a well-known entrepreneur from Jiangyin, Jiangsu regarding cross-border asset protection and succession.
- Advised a well-known IT entrepreneur from Beijing on cross-border legal structuring and family trust structuring.
- Advised an entrepreneur from Beijing regarding design and construction of cross-border legal structures and family trust structures.
- Advised an entrepreneur from Guangzhou regarding domestic family trusts, and wealth succession and protection.
Jason has advised more than 40 Chinese high-net-worth families, six of which are listed on the Forbes Richest Families List, regarding cross-border legal structures for wealth planning, and has assisted these families to establish their family trust structures.
Cross-Border Investment and Financing, Foreign Investment and Chinese Enterprises’ Overseas Investment
- Assisted an industry alliance to set up an offshore fund in Cayman.
- Assisted a Shenzhen private enterprise in environmental protection industry to acquire a Toronto listed company.
- Assisted a Shenzhen real estate group to acquire an amusement park facility design enterprise in Vancouver, Canada.
- Assisted the overseas investment platform of a Guangdong state-owned company to develop an Australian coal mine with an Australian company.
- Leading legal advisor for a large state-owned enterprise in its investment projects in Myanmar.
- Advised China Development Bank (Guangdong Branch) regarding its Uganda power plant project, Bulgaria wind power plant project and financing project of Ninglang (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
- Provided legal services to Guangdong Yudean Group regarding its investment in the DBP coal mine project in Indonesia and the BOOT investment project of IPP coal fired power generation in Java Island, Indonesian.
- Advised the investment company of Guangdong Yudean Group to acquire and invest in the Australian Narrabri mining project.
- Advised Guangzhou Leekeen Group on a joint venture project with French AREVA Group.
- Provided legal services regarding a series of acquisitions of LPG by UK BP Global Investments Ltd.
Jason has assisted nearly 30 enterprises in their cross-border investment and financing framework construction and cross-border investment projects.
Infrastructure Construction, Investment and Financing Projects
- Served as a legal consultant in the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge construction project (with a total investment value of RMB70b) for the Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao governments, including providing legal research services to the governments.
- Advised Shantou Suai Tunnel Construction Investment & Development Co., Ltd. regarding the Shantou Suai Tunnel construction project (the first batch of PPP demonstrated projects) during the early investment and construction phases.
- Advised Guangdong Railway Construction Investment Group regarding its TOD project in Foshan and Zhaoqing City.
- Advised East China Investment Co., Ltd. of China State Construction Group on PPP projects of National Highway 206 and Provincial Highway 426 in Xuzhou City.
- Advised Jiangsu China Construction Infrastructure Investment Co., Ltd. on the BT construction projects of Metro Line No. 1, the 3rd inner ring road, and the airport reconstruction project in Xuzhou City.
- Advised Chinese National Railway Administration on the intercity railway cooperation construction project with the People's Government of Guangdong Province.
- Advised BERJAYA Group (Malaysia) on investments in environmental protection projects in China, including sewage treatment and landfill, and provided legal services throughout the life-cycle of the projects.
- Assisted the local government to design and draft proposals for BT projects of Bigui Road, Gaofu Road and Hongqi Road in Foshan City, and provided legal services regarding the entire social capital recruitment process.
- Provided legal services in the Shazhuang-Licheng Highway BOT project in Zecheng City, Guangzhou.
- Provided legal services in the Yonghe Bridge BT project in Nanning City, Guangxi Province.
Jason has provided legal services in close to 20 large-scale infrastructure construction, investment and financing projects.
Real Estate Projects and Construction Engineering Projects
- Advised China Southern Airlines Construction and Development Company under China Southern Airlines Group on real estate development projects in Xinjiang and Jilin.
- Advised Guangdong Yudean Group regarding the Yuedean Information Exchange Management Center project.
- Advised Guangzhou Huancheng Real Estate Development Co., Ltd. on the Junhui Mingxuan project.
- Advised Nanning Department Store Co., Ltd. on the cooperative housing-construction project with Guangxi Xinhua Investment Co., Ltd.
- Provided legal services in Nanzhou Garden real estate development project.
- Advised Qingyuan Delong Investment Development Co., Ltd. regarding the Delong Industrial Park investment and construction project.
- Advised Qingyuan Zhuoyue Investment Co., Ltd. on the real estate project.
M&A and Restructuring
- Provided legal services to China Huaneng Group on the acquisition of 24% of Guangdong Yudean Group's equity as part of the equity portfolio diversification initiative of state-owned companies.
- Advised Guangzhou Metro Group on the corporate restructuring project.
- Advised Guangdong Railway Construction Investment Group on the transfer of its equity in China Railway Construction Port and Shipping Bureau Survey and Design Institute Co., Ltd.
- Advised on the venture investment projects between American Sequoia Venture Capital Fund and a Guangdong high-tech enterprise.
- Advised on the major asset restructuring project of Guangdong Yudean Group and Guangdong Electric Power Development Co., Ltd.
- Advised Guangdong Yudean Group on its acquisition of Qianxinan Power Plant.
- Provided legal services to Guangdong Yudean Group's fuel enterprises and 50 multi-business enterprises regarding restructuring.
- Advised the five subordinate enterprises of Guangdong Publishing Group on the restructuring projects.
- Provided legal services regarding a series of LPG acquisition projects by UK BP Global Investment Company.
- Advised the subsidiaries of China Southern Airlines Group on restructuring.
Jason has advised over 20 companies and their subsidiaries on M&A and restructuring.